Speak Xhosa in Eight Weeks
- Trainer: Tessa Dowling
- Hours of instruction: 12
- Course duration: Eight weekly 90-minute sessions
- Course cost: R2,650 (VAT not applicable). Best price guaranteed
- Rating: 5.0 stars
"One of the best courses I’ve ever attended. Outstanding preparation and presentation of materials. Best of all was Tessa's unflagging enthusiasm. Please let us have more from this gifted teacher!"
"I REALLY enjoyed this course. I found it interesting and challenging and the progression was satisfyingly quick. I was very glad to be taught some grammar too. Enkosi kakhulu! I'll keep practising. Yonke imihla ndizothetha isiXhosa."
This course will give you the Xhosa you need to have a conversation: handy vocabulary, everyday phrases, and key grammar. You'll enjoy the sessions, feel challenged but not overwhelmed, and discover a warm and respectful new way to connect with fellow South Africans.
Each week covers a different topic, with easily achievable goals:
- Week 1: Greetings and introductions - formal and informal, including slang greetings and nicknames; understanding Xhosa names, and pronouncing the clicks
- Week 2: Complimenting and thanking - a few nice ways to lift the mood with grace and respect
- Week 3: Exclaiming about the weather - always an ice-breaker
- Week 4: Asking basic questions and using the present tense, allowing you to make your own sentences
- Week 5: Complaining and commiserating in fun ways - nothing hectic, just the normal things that bring people closer together
- Week 6: Getting to know someone - asking about past experiences and using the past tense
- Week 7: Making plans, using the future tense
- Week 8: Wishing well - great ways to wish people a nice holiday, good luck, a peaceful night, a speedy recovery, and more
At each 90-minute weekly session, Tessa Dowling will expertly and entertainingly present new material. After that, you'll practise what you've seen and heard.
You'll receive PowerPoint presentations, notes, sound files, and a course manual with practical exercises to complete at home.
There are no formal assessments, but Tessa will provide constant feedback.
After completing Speak Xhosa in Eight Weeks, you'll boost your work performance by:
- Speaking warmly with colleagues, clients, and other fellow South Africans from all walks of life in their mother tongue
- Understanding more about Xhosa culture
- Enjoying the benefits of learning a new language, including improved memory, enhanced general communication, and greater confidence
Admin users are not allowed to book courses or express interest in courses. Please register as a Trainee to be able to book a course.
Sending expression of interest...
I REALLY enjoyed this course. I found it interesting and challenging and the progression was satisfyingly quick. I was very glad to be taught some grammar too. Tessa was a wonderful engaging and empathetic teacher, and has definitely inspired me to continue learning isiXhosa. Enkosi kakhulu! I'll keep practising. Yonke imihla ndizothetha isiXhosa :)
Tessa is a brilliant teacher and it was an absolute pleasure to do the course. Content, preparation, delivery top notch. Highly recommended.
One of the best courses I’ve ever attended. Outstanding preparation and presentation of materials - Tessa managed to keep the group engaged despite widely different levels of competence. But best of all was her unflagging enthusiasm. Please let us have more from this gifted teacher!
Enkosi kakhulu. It was a very good course and extremely well presented and prepared and with lots of practical information. I will miss it. Thank you very much, Tessa is a SUPER Xhosa teacher!
Admin users are not allowed to recommend courses. Please register as a Trainee to be able to recommend a course.