Understanding Financial Statements
- Trainer: Mark Graham
- Hours of instruction: 24
- Course duration: Three full days (timing can be flexible)
- Course cost: R18,400 incl. VAT per delegate. Best price guaranteed
"Mark's "Big Picture" diagram makes complete sense of the annual financial statements. He never gets lost in the weeds of detail. In the class, he is meticulously prepared, uncompromising in his desire to help students learn."
"Mark brought the class alive! He made it fun, but also clear. He made complex principles understandable, and empowered me to tackle difficult concepts."
This course gives you everything you need to be able to read and interpret financial statements prepared in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS). It will empower you to analyse a business by making effective use of the detail and nuances contained in the statement of financial position, statement of comprehensive income, statement of cash flows and the accompanying notes. No prior knowledge of finance or accounting is required.
This course will be especially useful to anyone who:
- Needs to read, interpret, and analyse financial statements
- Is required to extract information from financial statements for the purpose of analysis
- Wants to use financial statements to run their business more efficiently and effectively
- Manages, or just needs to converse effectively with, finance and accounting professionals
- Works in the financial sector and requires a firm grasp of accounting jargon
- Live, online sessions with Prof Mark Graham, who strongly encourages interaction and participation
- Real-world case studies based on the recent financial statements of well-known local companies
- Pre-reading for those who wish to prepare
- Constant emphasis on how to apply the course material in your own working life
- Daily fun quizzes to embed learning and evaluate progress
- Module 1 – Accounting basics: the double-entry system; debits and credits; financial statements
- Module 2 – The Statement of Comprehensive Income: revenue; other income; expenses;, profit; alternative performance measures; earnings per share. The Statement of Cash Flows: profit versus cash flows; operating activities; financing activities; investing activities; cash and cash equivalents
- Module 3 – The Statement of Financial Position: assets and liabilities; property, plant and equipment; investment property; intangible assets; inventory; loans and receivables; other financial assets; non-current assets held-for-sale; agricultural assets; provisions; financial liabilities
- Module 4 – Other accounting items: leases; foreign exchange; deferred tax; group financial statements; subsidiaries; associates; joint ventures; goodwill
Admin users are not allowed to book courses or express interest in courses. Please register as a Trainee to be able to book a course.
Sending expression of interest...
- Hours of instruction: 24
- Timing information: Three full days (timing can be flexible)
- Note: Click "Contact me" to find out more; or "Book now" to arrange an exclusive course for your team.
- Course fee: R134,315 for up to 10 delegates + R6,414 per additional delegate. Prices include VAT. Best price guaranteed
Mark brought the class alive! He made it fun, but also clear. He made complex principles understandable, and empowered me to tackle difficult concepts. His style and effectiveness as a teacher radically shaped how I wanted to contribute in the classroom.
- Richard Mellon
Mark Graham is by far the best lecturer at the GSB in my experience. Very knowledgeable, and so comfortable in front of the camera. I thoroughly enjoyed all his classes because he made the work simple, fun and interesting. He coached us along the way on how to approach analysing any company, what to ask and expect, and how to interact with them.
- Hex Novea
Mark's "Big Picture" diagram makes complete sense of the annual financial statements. He never gets lost in the weeds of detail. In the class, he is meticulously prepared, uncompromising in his desire to help students learn. And he takes his work seriously, but never himself.
- Paul Maughan
Mark's lessons helped me hugely in leading my company though this period. The pandemic hurt a large portion of our business, and so I just kept things simple. We reined in our spending and made sure we were converting profits into cash. We got through last year, and this year looks like a good year so far. Mark, thank you for being part of my MBA journey - you really made the whole experience!
- Anonymous MBA student
Admin users are not allowed to recommend courses. Please register as a Trainee to be able to recommend a course.